Sunday, June 25, 2023

Girls und Panzer (GuP)

Back at the end of April 2023 Youtube threw a Girls Und Panzer (GuP) clip into my feed.  I'd never heard of the decade old anime so I proceeded to spend an enjoyable afternoon learning about the GuP setting and wondering if and how it had been used as a setting for tabletop gaming.  Always late to the party, I learned there were hobbyists who'd blazed that trail already to one extent or another.  They confirmed my suspicion that 15mm tanks would allow for the number and variety of tanks needed to be able to play versions of the battles shown in the episodes and films.



It took me two months to finally see the original TV series, the first six OVA episodes and the Das Finale Part 1, 2 and 3 films on HiDive.  I very much enjoyed them despite having ruined most of the plot through trying to learn more about GuP.  I'm still need to find a way to watch the first film, the remaining OVA episodes and the This is the Real Anzio Battle episode/OVA/short film.  I also need to decide if I'm going to get or at least try to read the different manga released for GuP.   The Ribbon Warrior series focused on Tankathon is the most appealing one given the twist it puts on the traditional Sensha-dō battles.  It is not available in English that I can find nor does it seem to have a Kindle or other e-reader version so I'll have to decide if/when to try and buy the series.  There's enough information in the wiki that I could try to game Tankathon without knowing the story.


Lots of potential hobby planning, buying and modeling ahead.  



No comments: